Affiliations are used to tag constituents with information that can be used to create audiences
. For example, you may want to have a Health Care Reform affiliation in the system that has pro and con "children" as part of the affiliation tree. It is a good practice to tag constituents with affiliations so that you can have a good base for sending proactive mailings
in the future.
You can add affiliation codes at any time if you have permission to do so in the platform. Please following the instructions below.
Add Affiliation Codes to Fireside Platform:
- Navigate to Gear>Settings.
Click on the "Affiliations" link under the Tagging headline.
- If you do not have access to this link and believe you should, please contact your office’s Account Owner or contact us for a list of your office’s Account Owner(s).
You should be on the Affiliations page, and there you will see a list of affiliations. You can double-click on any of the existing affiliation codes to update the name.
If you want to merge two affiliations, you should change the "Move" dropdown at the top of the page to "Merge." You can drag and drop the affiliation codes you want to merge.
If you want to move one affiliation to be the "child" of another affiliation, you should change the "Merge" dropdown to say "Move." You can drag and drop the affiliation code you want to add as a child of another code.
If you want to add a new affiliation code, select the "Add a new affiliation" link on the left-hand side of the page. Type in the affiliation name. If this affiliation should be the "child" of another affiliation (meaning listed under a certain other affiliation for organization purposes), select that other affiliation from the list by clicking on it once. When you click the "Save" button, the newly created affiliation will be added as a "child" of the highlighted affiliation on the right (also known as a "parent").
- If you do not have access to this link and believe you should, please contact your office's Account Owner or contact us for a list of your office's Account Owner(s).
Tag Individuals with Affiliation Codes:
Now, you can tag people with affiliations either when logging their correspondence or visiting their profile pages.
- Search for the person using the People>Search function.
- If you find the person, click on the their name (blue link).
You will automatically land on the person's Summary tab. Navigate to the Relationships tab.
The top portion of the Relationships tab is the Affiliations section.
Click in the text box under the Affiliations headline. Start typing and your affiliations will appear in a dropdown. Once you've found the one you're looking for, click the black "+" button next to the text box. The affiliation will move below the box where you entered it.
Select the "Save" button when done to lock in the change.
- If you cannot find the person (i.e. they are not in the database) you should add them.
Tag Full Audiences with Affiliation Codes Based on Previously Received Form Letters:
If you would like to go back and add affiliation tags to constituents who have already received form letters from your office, you can do that as well. The general steps are outlined below.
- Create an audience of people who have received a specific form letter (or group of form letters) that pertain to a specific topic or interest area.
- Export the audience and only select to export their eManager IDs (all other checkboxes should be un-checked).
- Re-import the audience without making any changes to the spreadsheet.
Now that these people are tagged, you can create an affiliation code audience.
- On Step 1 (where you browse for your CSV document), you will also select the affiliation code you would like to apply to everyone in the spreadsheet from the bottom textbox.
- On Step 2, you will match the one column in your CSV file to the eManager ID field in our system.
- On Step 3, you will simply select the Finish button.
***The below is an easier alternative to the above process!
Although the above method isn't exactly labor intensive, it still takes more time than what one might expect. To remedy this, our developers bring to you a way to add an affiliation to an entire audience en masse with just a few clicks! To do so, follow these easy instructions:
- Navigate to People>Audiences, and find the audience you wish to update.
- Either click in the gray space next to the audience's name and choose "Modify people matching criteria," OR click on the audience to enter and then choose "Actions>Modify people matching criteria."
- On the next screen, you will be given a box where you can enter the affiliation you wish to add (the affiliation must be created in Settings before coming to this page). After the affiliation has been placed in the box, click "Update." Your audience has been updated!
IMPORTANT NOTE: This action CANNOT be undone (even by our savvy developers). The one exception to this caveat would be if the affiliation code you just tagged was just newly created and had not been tagged to any other people records prior to your mass tag. If this is the case, simply delete the affiliation code from Fireside under Gear>Settings>Affiliations. Warning: This will remove the code from your system completely.