Starting a new case is quick and easy. To begin, you should use the People Search to look up the constituent in your database. If you can't find them, here is some information about adding constituents.
Within the constituent's people record, click the "Start a case" button in the header toolbar, or use the shortcut link on the search results page. You can access the shortcut by clicking on the row of the person with whom you wish to work, as seen below.
Enter the following information to start the case:
- Description: This is a description for the case that will always be displayed at the top of a case.
- Staffer: This will be preset to your name, but allows you to assign the case to another colleague if necessary.
- Template: You can use a template to pre-populate pending form letters and emails in the new case. More on Casework Activity Templates.
- Agency: Use this dropdown menu to select the agency to which this case will be associated. If the agency you wish to work with is not located in the dropdown, select the "Add a new agency" link and provide the agency name and agency contact.
- Agency Contact: After selecting the agency, this dropdown will list contacts in your system for that agency. If the contact you wish to work with is not located in the dropdown, select the "Add a new agency contact" link.
- Click "Create."
After the page refreshes, you will land inside of the newly created case and want to know more about case notes and activities.