The Case Notes and History section of Casework is an extremely useful tool. This box is flexible in how it lets you type in notes about your interactions with case contacts, write reminders for you, or paste in information from emails or other outside sources.
To add a new note, simply click the "Add Note" button in the header toolbar, and an editor will appear such as the one pictured below.
In addition to text, notes have a couple of other functions.
A note allows you attach files to a case. To add a file, click "Choose File," select any PDF, Word document, or any other file from your computer, and click the "Add Note" button. The case will update and you will see the file attached at the bottom of the righthand sidebar. This tool is most commonly used to attach a constituent's Privacy Release/Authorization Form to the case.
The second option is to set a reminder. Reminders might be the simplest way to keep your cases organized. We recommend always setting a reminder for your case including making a note to your self to describe the next action you want to take on that case. To add a new reminder to a case, use the More action button in the header toolbar, and from the dropdown, choose Set/Change Reminder. A popup box like the one pictured below will appear where you can set a new reminder and make a new note corresponding with this to let you know what you're supposed to be doing with the case. All reminders will show in the righthand sidebar.
You can also set a default reminder date for all of your new cases. For example, if you set it as 7 then as soon as you create a case, a reminder will get created for one week automatically. To do this, have an account owner modify your administrator account to set the default number of days you'd like to receive a casework reminder on.
How/Where to update case details:
- Status (right-hand sidebar):
- New, Pending, Closed, Closed Favorable, Closed Unfavorable.
- If you change the case assignment, you have the option of notifying the new assignee and sending a note by email.
- This section is not editable, but you can edit the agency information in the People on this Case section.
- Set a reminder date for yourself. To see your set reminders, you can select the Reminders link in the My Cases tools sidebar item. An email notification will be sent to the case assignee on the morning the reminder date is set.
- This is just a label for the activity, but it is best to enter a good description for the activity.
- Choose between the constituent, agency contact, or any other person on the case. Only people who are added on the case can be recipients of correspondence.
- This lets you choose the email template that will be used. By default, it will come from the Member, but you can create or select a personalized email template.
- Pick the form letter template for this communication. If you do not have a form, select "Blank Letter." Learn about form letters here.
- Then just click the "Create" button. Once you have created the email, you can then add attachments.
If you want to make changes to the email form letter that you have assigned to the case, select the blue customize button to open up a text editor where you can make changes. Also know that you can now change the subject of an email you’re sending, and you can also cc anyone on the case (in addition to sending the email to a main recipient).
Once all changes are made, save and preview it. If the email is 100% good to go, you can select the "Send" button at the bottom of the email screen. This email will now be listed in the case history.