Create a New Message
- Log in into Fireside.
- Navigate to Newsletter>Messages.
- Click "New Message."
- Type directly in the design view.
Edit the Message
- Make any updates to: From Name, From Address (must be a real Outlook email address), and Subject Line. Select the audience(s) to whom you want to send the newsletter. You can ONLY hide the unsubscribe link if sending the newsletter to a press list(s).
- You can draft the plain text version of your newsletter in the "Plain Text Email" text box. Your message will have both a plain text and HTML version. Some users will have their personal email configured to "turn off" HTML, so many people like to offer a plain text version with just the content - no images, graphics or formatting. Place [link] anywhere in the body to include a link to the web version of the email, which will be formatted.
- For the HTML version (using the design view of the editor), copy and then paste the newsletter text from Word into the "Paste Plain Text" button of the editor bar (located directly to the left of the undo button). First, put your cursor where you want the text to go, then click "Paste Plain Text," and then paste your text into the popup box, and click "OK." If you paste directly from Word or another non-plain text editor, you will capture background HTML which often adds weird spaces or causes other rendering issues. Once you've copied over the text into the newsletter, use the tools in the text editor to create links and format the text as desired. Learn how to add photos to your messages here. If you have a message that already uses HTML, click on the "HTML" view at the bottom of the window, and then paste the code in there.
Send the Message
- In the "Delivery Options" section, you have the option to send a test message. Type in one address per line for test recipients, and do not use commas to separate the email addresses. Additionally, you can save your message without sending a test. You have two options to transmit the message. Select "Send Now" to send the message immediately, or select the "Send Later" option to pick a date and time to schedule the newsletter to automatically send at a later time. Click the "Save" button.
- You will now be on the confirmation page. Whether you are transmitting your message to an audience or only sending a test, you will need to click "Save."
You should receive the test message immediately after clicking "Save." Messages sent to audiences (as opposed to a test) will take longer for Fireside to compile and send the email to all of the recipients.
If you sent a test message, check to make sure all your links work and the text/spacing looks correct. If everything is okay and you are ready to send your message, go back into Fireside. Again, click on the "Tested" filter (right side of the screen), and be sure to select the most recently tested message from the Messages administration page and follow the steps above.
You will be editing a new version of your message. Skip to the "Delivery Options" section to select one of the transmission options. Click "Save" and you will be taken to the confirmation page. Click "Save and Close" to send the message.