Fireside now processes email bounces automatically for clients. In doing so, we mark bad emails as invalid in the system (as denoted by a small orange exclamation point next to the email address in the people record).
Ultimately, it is within your office's best interests to remove these emails from your system so that you can collect new ones for those constituents as they write to your office using the contact form. If those invalid emails are left in Fireside, the system will be unable to collect updated addresses for those individuals, as we do not automatically overwrite that field each time a new email is submitted. Removing them from the system gives your office the chance to contact those people via email once again in the future.
Step 1 – Create an invalid emails audience:
- Go to People>Audiences.
- Search for "invalid" to check if an invalid audience already exists. If one already exists, skip to the next stage of this process. If none exists, go to the next step.
- Click "New Audience," and call the audience "Invalid Emails."
- In the Include People Matching section, set the criterion to be "Email > Is Invalid" (Nothing is needed in the third dropdown).
- Click "Save."
Step 2 – Export the audience from Fireside and prepare the spreadsheet for import:
- On the main Audiences page, click the word "sample" next to your new audience.
- Click Actions>Export this audience.
- On this final page, make sure that "id" and "Email" are checked. If so, click "Export."
- Open up the spreadsheet that immediately downloads to your computer.
- In the "Email" column, go ahead and delete each and every email address listed in the column, but leave the column header intact. Leave the "id" column untouched.
- Save the spreadsheet to your desktop, and make sure it is saved as a CSV (comma delimited) file.
- Hop into chat, or send the spreadsheet as an attachment directly to email@example.com. In the email, explain that you need to delete invalid emails from Fireside and that the attached spreadsheet has been prepped to do. We will then take care of the rest!
Step 3 – Import the blank emails into Fireside (for Fireside staffers only):
NOTE: Because doing an overwrite import in which the contents of the field are completely removed can only be done by Fireside administrators, we will take care of this part of the process for you.
- Go to People>Imports.
- Click the "New Import" button.
- Select the CSV file. Click "Next."
- For step 2, map the file’s column headers to the corresponding Fireside fields. The Email column should be mapped to “Email Email” and the id column should go to emanagerID. If there are other columns, select "ignore" for each of those. Click "Next."
- On the next step, select the update checkbox beside the Email row.
- Click "Finish."
This process wipes out all of the invalid emails from Fireside. The audience count for the Invalid Emails audience should now be at zero (once the import finishes processing).