Once you have completed creating your new Bulk Mailing, you will click Save and will be redirected to the Bulk Mailings landing page.
At the top of the list, you will see your mailing is marked as "processing" - the system is matching up Audience members with the appropriate form letter and placing them into Batches. You will be able to determine where your mailing is in the creation process by the displayed status.
The steps are:
- Queued / Re-Queued - The Bulk Mailing is waiting to be processed.
- Starting - Bulk Mailing processing has started.
- Resolving Audiences - All of the people records associated with each selected Audience is located; duplicates and records marked as Do Not Mail are removed from consideration.
- Loading Recipients - The Bulk Mailing builder is taking a sample of people records from the Audience.
- Processing Rules - Rules (emails, letters, prefer emails, prefer letters) are being applied to the sample to see if they should be included in the Bulk Mailing.
- Creating Mail - The builder is matching the chosen Form Letter to a person record; creating mail to print / send.
- Batching Mail - Placing mail records in a dedicated Batch.
- Completed - Finished.
The status will update automatically, so there is no need to refresh the page. There is also no need to stay on the page, as the processing will happen in the background as you move on to other tasks.
Note: It's possible that Loading Recipients, Processing Rules and Creating Mail status messages may repeat if the limit has not been reached and the Audience has more people to sample.
You can cancel a Bulk Mailing by clicking the red stop button that appears while the mailing is processing. If you click cancel, the processing is halted and any letters or batches that have been created are deleted. The Bulk Mailing will then be listed as "canceling".
After the mailing finishes processing, the Name will become a link that you can click on. You can click on the name of the mailing and review:
- Batch Warnings show people who have been excluded from the Bulk Mailing. One reason for exclusion is if someone has already received the Form Letter that is assigned to them. These people will not be able to receive the letter as part of the mailing.
- Batch Errors are a list of people that have correctable problems, such as missing household information or addresses. You can click on a person's name to correct their profile information and then click the Re-Submit button so that all of the errors will be processed again with the correct information.
- Assigned/Batched letters show the various batches that were created to hold your mailings. You can click on each batch to begin printing/sending, or you can click on the Batches tab in the Mail Room.
- The Delete assigned letters button can be used if the Bulk Mailing will not be sent out. This will un-assign the form letter to everyone who was included in the Bulk Mailing. If you have created a bulk mailing but the mailing audience somehow changes (e.g. members are added or removed), you should use this button to delete the assigned letters in the previous mailing and then make a new bulk mailing so all audience members will be included. You should not simply close erroneous letters from within their batches. You need to delete the assigned letters from within the bulk item.